« May 2008 | Main | July 2008 »

06.25.2008

Woobery

goldStar.jpg

The driving force behind Woobery is the idea of taking a child's imagination and making it plush. They believe in drawing everyday, and when a drawing is that good, they transform it into a toy. Woobery can also make custom dolls from your kids' inspired sketches.

juliette.png

The doll shown above comes from a drawing a kid made of his/her pregnant mama. Great concept, colorful gift ideas and creativity that is sure to encourage many rainy-day projects.

drawingwithelephant.jpg

Posted by Gabriela    Category: toys
Tags:
Email this | Comments (0)
Add to Yahoo Add to Google Add to: Digg Add to Del.icio.us Add to: Reddit Add to: StumbleUpon Add to Blogmarks Add to: Technorati

06.25.2008

Handmade Clothing by Erg Originals

il_fullxfull.27481539%5B1%5D.jpg

If you are a fan of unique non-commercial clothing for your kids, then you will be a fast fan of Erg Originals, one of the many cool shops on Etsy. Started by a stay-at-home mom with a BFA and six years of experience as a children's librarian, Erg Originals boasts designs inspired by books, nature and "things seen out and about."

il_fullxfull.27475930%5B1%5D.jpg

Whether you're looking for a t-shirt, pants or a hat, your tot will be covered in nifty designs (ranging from scooters to rhinos) that are handstitched onto 100% cotton fabric garments. Blue embroidery not your speed? Contact Erg Originals and switch it around yellow, green or whatever you prefer. That's the beauty of buying handmade from small shops like this. You get a practically personalized item with a little character.

Available at Erg's Etsy shop.

Posted by Katie    Category: fashion
Tags:
Email this | Comments (0)

06.25.2008

The Yogi Solo

Thumb.aspx.jpg

Why is it assumed that everything you can sit in comfortably with a baby has to be for nursing. Don't get me wrong, we're a breast-feeding-friendly family, but it also drives me crazy when people created a nice piece of furniture for an adult and a baby and it's sold as being specifically for nursing. Sure, it's great for that, but I just want to cuddle and read a book. Do you really not want me as a customer?

Which brings us to the Yogi Solo. For mom and baby! Get the nursing attachment! Just throw the dads a little line in there and say it's comfortable just to sit in. Because your product looks great, and I don't want you to hate me because I just want to sit down.

Posted by ben    Category: furniture
Tags:
Email this | Comments (0)

06.25.2008

Me Hungry. Me Like!

P060808FAV_MeHungry_350%5B1%5D.jpg

I've often said that babies and toddlers are a lot like cavemen. Their needs are very basic and they don't have much language to communicate them (see: my son, pointing and saying "dah, pssss!" meaning "Mommy, would you mind terribly giving me that please?"). So when my husband showed up with "Me Hungry" by Jeremy Tankard, I had to laugh out loud.

This book is about Edwin, a young caveboy, who is super hungry. Unfortunately, his parents are too busy to care much, so he decides to get his own meal with a succinct declaration, "Me hunt." Without giving away the ending, I can tell you that it involves a hungry wooly mammoth, an apple tree and a new friendship. Getting to the ending is no trouble, as each sentence is only about 2 or 3 words. While this book might not be the prime example of good grammar, its bound to get you and your little caveboy or cavegirl giggling and maybe even grunting a bit just for kicks.

Posted by Katie    Category: books/media
Tags:
Email this | Comments (0)

06.24.2008

Backpack by Dante Beatrix

kidsbackpacks_little_penguin_front.jpg

It didn't take long for Dante Beatrix, mavens of fashionable mommy bags, to branch out into kids' carryalls. And like their larger forebearers, these spunky little packs possess all the of fun and funk of the mom-sized versions. Durable, roomy and lightweight, they're also sure to sport at least one of your pre-schooler's favorites: penguin, pig, dino, bunny, lion, shark, monkey, bear or bee.

For older kids, there's even a larger eco-pack, made from recycled plastic bottles.

220x220_big_eco_pack_recycle_front.jpg

Posted by Justine    Category: accessories
Tags:
Email this | Comments (0)

06.24.2008

Heirloom

heirloom_bed.jpg

More fantastic Swedish design comes from Heirloom, who promise their furniture will last for generations. What is it that gives it that wonderful appeal? I think in the case of this bed, it's the chartreuse frame that is the icing on the cake - though the whole shape is something pretty special.

There's also an offbeat sense of humour in their pieces. See their toybox below, complete with bunny ears. Quite functional bunny ears, mind: they are strongly-enough implanted to use as handles. Neat.

heirloom_rabbit.jpg

If you like this stuff, why not check out previous posts on Scandinavian design?

Posted by Myf    Category: furniture
Tags:
Email this | Comments (0)

06.24.2008

Dressing Fairytales

alice.jpg

This Portugal-based company has given me the opportunity to practice a bit of my, yes, Portuguese. Dressing Fairytales creates dreamy, one-of-a-kind clothing for babies and kids using fabric that depicts or is inspired by different fairy tales. So far I’ve seen various dresses, pants, skirts, shorts and shirts with Peter Pan, Hansel and Gretel (my personal favorite story; you know, brother and sister, parentless, confronting childhood fears), Little Red Riding Hood and Alice in Wonderland prints on them. The clothes are handmade, very sweet and highly original. Send an email with questions in English for more info.

hansel.jpg

Via Soulemama.

Posted by Gabriela    Category: fashion
Tags:
Email this | Comments (0)

06.23.2008

The Paper's Edge

isaac.JPG

I like things that are personalized to the likeness of your own kids, but don't look like you bought them at some local fair. Yes, I know it's funny when you make my son's head huge and give him a soccer ball, but I'm certainly not going to frame it. The Paper's Edge images, on the other hand, are great.

You pick the colors, give the artist information about the hair color and skin tone of your child, along with the colors in their room, and they create something understated, attractive, and unique to your child. Very cool.

Posted by ben    Category: decor
Tags:
Email this | Comments (0)

06.23.2008

Doctor's Kit

dr_kit_lg.jpg

My youngest daughter loves to play doctor. She has a doctor’s kit that she takes everywhere; but it’s huge and bulky and not very inspired. This one, however, does it for me. I love that the doctor’s bag is made of tin and the size of a lunch box, and that it comes with more real-life looking accessories for hours upon hours of imaginative play, including a fabric bandage, prescription pad and pencil and a tube with mini pills which I’ll have to keep an eye on. Can’t wait to have her cure me and the rest of her dolls, brother, sister, dad and so on.

Posted by Gabriela    Category: toys
Tags:
Email this | Comments (1)

06.23.2008

Housemade "House" by Galeano Poggi

chicos%5B1%5D.jpg

Believe it or not, this is a picture of children playing in an actual playhouse - not a ramshackle cabin - created by architects Carolina Galeano and Francisco Poggi. While I'm not sure how much this costs, at first I was relatively certain that a trip to Home Depot to pick up some plywood and nails would save you a pretty penny for something similar. Then I took a look at the design of this playhouse on the Galeano Poggi website and found the whole structure to be pretty unique and impressive.

The structure consists of a cube built from 10 wooden square frames and a tin roof. Each side has an entry or exit, each window serves as some form of a table and most parts are somehow movable, "allowing a fluid outside-inside relation." It also comes in a doll house sized puzzle (below). This image pretty much captures what the larger, kid sized version of the structure looks like - pretty neat.

p3d01%5B1%5D.jpg

Posted by Katie    Category: furniture | toys
Tags:
Email this | Comments (0)

Back to Top All Pages |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8